Law Enforcement Appreciation DayPosted: 08-Jan-2015
This Friday, January 9th, 2015, law enforcement organizations will partner with citizens all over the country to celebrate Law Enforcement Appreciation Day (L.E.A.D.). In light of the recent negativity directed toward the law enforcement community, we need to show law enforcement officers that our citizens recognize the difficult and sometimes impossible career they have chosen, in public service to all.
Each day, some 900,000 police officers across the country put a badge on and go to work knowing they may face extremely dangerous situations. On average, a law enforcement officer is killed in the line of duty every 58 hours. More than 50,000 officers are assaulted, and more than 15,000 officers are injured in the line of duty each year. There are few other professions in the world where you will find these kinds of statistics.
On Friday, January 9th, we ask our nation’s citizens to action in support of law enforcement. Citizens who appreciate law enforcement and are encouraged to take time to show their support for law enforcement in a number of ways:
- Wear blue clothing in support of law enforcement
- Send a card of support to your local police department or state agency
- Share a story about a positive law enforcement experience on social media
- Ask children in your community to write letters in support of law enforcement
- Shine a blue light from your house
Most importantly, if you see a police officer, say thank you.